Call it growing old (*sigh*), but to me, my perfect Friday night goes a little something like this: a classic gin martini, my house kimono and Aretha on the record player.
Over the years I’ve worked on perfecting the classic martini recipe. I’m generally a purist and opt for gin, but if vodka is your jam, well go right ahead. Feel free to experiment with these quantities to find the proportions that work for you and you palette… and don’t forget the house kimono.
Classic Dry Martini
You will need:
- 2 1/2 fl oz (45 ml) of your favorite gin or vodka
- 1/2 fl oz (15 ml) dry vermouth
- 2 dashes celery bitters (an optional break from convention)
- Lemon twist or green olives to garnish
- In a cocktail mixing glass (or a beer glass) pour in your vermouth, gin and bitters.
- Top with ice and stir vigorously for 20 seconds with a bar spoon. Taste for dilution and stir again if required.
- Double strain through a hawthorn and fine mesh strainer into a chilled martini glass (or champagne coupe).
- Garnish with olives or a twist and serve immediately.
Is it 5 o’clock yet?