Ok, confession time. I’ve had a huge blog crush on blogger babe Anusha since the moment I stumbled across her fabulous work on Fish & Bull. Never one to play it cool (yes, I’m a massive dork) I immediately asked Anusha if she’d be interested in contributing one of her fabulous DIY creations to Tell Me Tuesday.
Today she shows us how to create an oh-so-sweet snow globe for your beloved Valentine or #galentine:
Reds, pinks and heart shapes everywhere can only mean one thing- Valentine’s Day is close!
When I found a spangle pack of assorted heart shaped confetti, I knew I had to make a DIY Valentine’s Day Snow Globe. I could spend hours watching heart-shaped confetti drift slowly and never get bored. I picked out a favorite beachy photo of us from a recent vacation and got to work on this easy project. As a bonus it’s a sweet gift for your man on Valentine’s Day and a pretty photo display to boot.
For this snowglobe, I used a bottle of baby oil which made the confetti drift softly but I’ve heard that combinations of water and glycerin work just as well. The best part of this project is once you’re done you can shake, shake, shake it like a polaroid picture!
You will need:
- confetti and sparkles
- baby oil
- air tight jar with lid
- packing tape or vinyl adhesive
- spray paint (optional)
- super glue (optional)
1. Print out a photo that you love (in landscape orientation).
2. Measure the height of the jar where the photo will be visible and cut your photo to the measured height.
3. Laminate your photo with packing tape or vinyl adhesive. Smooth the adhesive with your hand making sure to get rid of any air bubbles.
4. Trim the excess adhesive but leave a 1mm frame along the bottom and two sides. Leave about 1 inch of adhesive on the top of the photo (or the height of the jar lid). This part will go in your jar and not be visible. Leaving a little overhang will make a really tight seal so no oil can get into your photo.
5. Curl your photo into a cylinder and tape the sides together.
6. Optional: Spray paint your lid in your desired color.
7. With a hot glue gun, attach your photo to the lid. Set aside to dry.
8. Fill your jar with baby oil. Leave about 2mm of space at the top so it doesn’t overflow once you insert the photo.
9. Throw in lots of confetti, sparkles and glitter in different sizes and color.
10. Screw on the lid tightly. For a super airtight seal add super glue around the rim. Shake away!
Anusha is the fabulous DIY blogger, artist and margarita lover behind the DIY blog Fish & Bull. Her blog is packed full of colourful creations for you to create (and pin!) at home. You can check her out on Instagram, Facebook and on her blog.